Project In Brief
Project in Brief
The hydraulic potential of a system of river flows on the Bolaven Plateau will be exploited rationally. Water from the Houay Makchanh will be impounded and diverted to the Xe-Pian catchment along the Xe-Pian River whose waters will likewise be impounded. The water from the Xe-Pian catchment will then be channeled to the Xe-Namnoy Reservoir which is also fed by the Xe-Namnoy River. The Xe-Namnoy Reservoir will in turn convey water through an underground water transfer conduit, vertical pressure shaft, high pressure tunnel and penstock to drive the turbines of a Pelton and three Francis generators at the powerhouse to produce electricity. Meanwhile, a tailrace water channel will discharge water from the Powerhouse to the Xe Kong River before it reaches the Mekong River. To ensure that the environmental and ecological integrity of the river below the Xe-Pian Dam is maintained, the Xe-Namnoy Reservoir will provide a constant and environmental release flow.
Upon completion, the Project is expected to generate 1,879 Gwh per year. The Project will export 90% of the electric power it generates to Thailand under a Power Purchase Agreement between the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand and the PNPC, while the remaining 10% will be sold to the local grid under a Power Purchase Agreement between the PNPC and the Electricite du Laos.
The PNPC will operate and manage the Project during the 27-years Concession Period after the 5-years Construction Period and commencement of commercial operations by 2019. After the expiry of the Concession Period, the PNPC will transfer the Operations and Management of the Project to the Government of Laos.
2015 – 2017
- April 9, 2015 The Xe-Namnoy River is diverted.
- February 16, 2015 The Xe-Pian River is diverted.
2012 – 2014
- February 6, 2014 Financial Close with Lenders and Initial Drawdown.
- November 28, 2013 Project Financing Documents are signed.
- November 28, 2013 Construction Supervision Contract between PNPC and RATCH is signed.
- November 15, 2013 Engineering, Purchase and Construction Agreement between PNPC and SE&C is signed.
- November 14, 2013 Operations and Maintenance Agreement between PNPC and KOWEPO is
- August 22, 2013 Certificates of Fire Prevention and Protection Plan is issued.
- May 10, 2013 The PNPC-EDL Power Purchase Agreement is signed.
- April 18, 2013 Annex G of the Concession Agreement is signed by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.
- March 26, 2013 Certificates for the EIA, EMMP and RMP Report are issued.
- March 23, 2013 Concession Registration Certificate is issued.
- February 6, 2013 PNPC-EGAT Power Purchase Agreement is signed.
- February 1, 2013 Land Lease Agreement is signed between PNPC and the GOL.
- December 6, 2012 Tariff MOU with Electricite du Laos between PNPC and EDL is signed.
- October 22, 2012 Certificates for the Xe-Pian Dam, Xe-Namnoy Dam, Houay Makchanh Weir, Saddle Dams, Powerhouse and Operator’s Village are signed.
- October 19, 2012 Concession Agreement between PNPC and the GOL is signed.
- May 2, 2012 Electricity Business Operations License is issued.
- April 18, 2012 Official Seal approved.
- March 23, 2012 The PNPC is founded by the four major Shareholders.
- March 12, 2012 Certificate of Taxpayer Identification is issued.
2009 – 2011
- June 15, 2011 Shareholders’ Agreement is signed by all major Shareholders.
- September 29, 2011 Enterprise Name Approval Certificate is issued.
- August 16, 2010 Tariff MOU with the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand is signed.
2006 – 2008
- November 14, 2008 Project Development Agreement between the GOL, SKE&C, RATCH and KOWEPO is signed.
- August 6, 2007 Joint Development Agreement between RATCH and SKE&C is signed.
- August 3, 2006 Project Development MOU between the GOL and initial consortium is signed.
2003 – 2005
- October 23, 2003 MOU between the Korea & Laos Power Development Company and The Government of Laos (GOL) is signed.
- July 19, 2005 Project Development MOU between SKE&C and the KOWEPO is signed.